Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Still Cold, But Warming (aka Scooter Weather is Coming!)

It is still hovering around 20 degrees F when I get out to head toward work in the mornings. Today its supposed to get up to 50, and I'm a little sad that it actually sounds warm to me. The Maj is starting just fine each morning. It took two hits of the starter this morning, but I hadn't started it since about Wednesday last week. I'm very forgiving! The ride is much more stable and smooth than the Roketa was. I know what you are thinking, but I just had to say it for the record. I have not done my first fill up yet, so I don't know the MPG. I'm down to about 1/3 of a tank (on the indicator) so I will know soon. I am hopeful for 50MPG, but we shall see. I need to see about any warranty that's left on the bike and see if it transfers to me. There is a 600 mile check and then the next is not for 4000 miles. After that it's every 4K. At 600, the FI is checked, brakes, steering, side stand switch, engine oil/filter change, transmission oil change, and brake and light switches. Not a real big deal. I need to call the shop and see how much they charge. The 4K is more intensive, but it's mainly just checking things.

I registered for the Cincinatti WKRP-XYL (Ten Year Lates Scooter Club) Scooter Rally. The kid's mother said she would trade me so I could be off that weekend from the kids. I also made hotel reservations on Priceline. This is the first time I did that. The room is cheap, clean, safe (from the google feedback), and 18 minutes from Metro Scooters. It's less than 2 hours away if I rocket up I-71, or almost 3 hours for a more leisurly pace up SR42 which would be the more normal scooter route. Its nice to have options though!

I have a friend who just got a cool new BMW bike, and we are talking about doing a Ironbutt Association ride later this year when weather is better. We want to do 1500 miles in 36 hours or 1000 miles in 24 hours. If it's still cooler, we could go south toward Louisiana or Alabama, but if it's warmer, I want to go up to Michigan, over into Canada, then down into New York and Pennsylvania then back to Louisville. I have thought a lot about it, and it's just something I want to be able to say I've done. I just read "Lois on the Loose" by Lois Pryce.

(Lois Pryce)

It's a book about her travel from Anchorage, AK across Canada, down through California along the west coast into Mexico, thru Central and South America all the way to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world. It was a cool read. She used a Yamaha XT225 Serow trail bike. That is waaay more off-road than I would ever consider, but I want to see some cool places in the USA this year at least! She is so cool, and a redhead (!) so I think I'm gonna name my scooter, Lois!

No comments: