Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Seat Cushion

One of the things I've done recently is to work on a custom seat
cushion. My friend Kathy, who is good at sewing, had some durable
black polyester material. Together we made a basic blueprint of my
stock Majesty seat and adjusted it to cover the area where I sit (my
arse is big, but not as big as the ENTIRE seat...). Next, she sewed
together a basic pocket-like sleeve where I could stuff various
materials to see what works best. The first attempt, which was
slightly more comfortable than the stock consisted of 3 layers. The
base was closed-cell foam (they blue mat used to put on the ground
under your sleeping bag). The center was your basic foam rubber. The
top layer was another layer of the closed-cell foam. As I said, this
method will allow me to try different materials to see how they
perform before I turn the pad into a finished product. If you have
any suggestions, please let me know. I have about 3-4 inches to play
with. I am thinking about trying some stiffer foam rubber, memory
foam, sponge, etc. I think I will keep the closed-cell foam base as
that seems to work pretty good. When the pad is all done and glued
together, I carve/bezel it down with an electric knife (yes, in this
case, it is my turkey-knife) which seems to work very well for this
job.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the hint on seats. My wife and I both have Yamaha Majestys, and I'm going to try and "carve" her seat down to make the bike a little shorter. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.