Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Garmin Nuvi 500 & 550

I have enjoyed my TomTom One XLS, but inside the Ram-Mount Aquabox, you can't hear it.  Also, I am not really thrilled with some of the directions I've gotten from it.  Ask the folks in the LSG...sometimes we have "issues".  Yes, sometimes it has told me to turn where there is no road.  Sometimes it leads to dead-ends where there used to be a road, or it's choked off by dogs and guys with shotguns.  Hey, this IS Kentucky...
 
But everyone (ok, a LOT of people) brag on Garmin.  All the LD people use Garmins.  My friend Ralph brags on the Garmin Zumo, but that thing is like $650!!  I would not spend that much on a GPS even if I could justify it somehow.
 
What I found out on Garmin's site is they currently have 5 models that are waterproof.  The motorcycle specific model is the Zumo.  The "Adventure" model is the Nuvi 500 series.   [The] "nüvi 500 features driving, walking, bicycling and boating modes which customize your nüvi specifically for your method of travel. This portable hybrid combines the advanced navigation features and large, color display found in automotive units with the durability of an outdoor handheld. Sleek and slim, you can slip nüvi 500 into your pocket or backpack."
 
This sounds fantastic to me.  And Amazon has them for $254.  That is way better than $650!!  They also make a scooter mount, and USB charge cable (which looks pretty standard...) which is how I charge my Tomtom right now...  All this is pretty cool, but the ultimate perk might be the Garmin Map Source software.  I have been told by people who use it (mostly the LD folks) that it is the defacto routing software.  The only thing that comes close is the Micro$oft stuff.  I'm not feeling too keen on M$ lately...  Mapsource has some pretty cool features, such as:
 
  • Plan routes from the convenience of your computer instead of on your device.
  • Create, view, and edit waypoints, routes, and tracks.
  • Plan extensive or complicated routes, in which you travel to several locations in an order you specify.
  • Transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your computer and your device.
  • Transfer selected map from your computer to your device.
  • View your maps in detail on your computer screen.
  •  
    It's basically everything that I do very painfully with Google Maps, Tyre, and Tomtom Home right now.  Hopefully this will solve a bunch of small issues I've been having.  I also hope to have a good permanent 12v plug put in by then!!

    No comments: