Tuesday, September 8, 2009

[Tail of] The Dragon & Safety

Aparently, according to Ben Steinberg, who I have never met, but is the general mgr of the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort, the ride this weekend--US-129 in TN and NC, is only to be referred to as "The Dragon" or "Deal's Gap".  Not "Tail of The Dragon".  I don't know if I would go on the word of someone who is in the tourist business, but it is reported in "Handlebars" magazine that he is an experienced racer.  Ok, well, that doesn't really mean anything to me either. 
 
Aside from correcting the name, he offers two peices of advice for people riding "The Dragon".
 
1. Ride your own ride.
2. Stay in your own lane.
 
I plan to do both especially this weekend.  As a matter of fact, I almost always obey mister Steinberg's first rule.  If I choose to push past my comfort zone, I do it on my own terms and as a method of increasing my abilities in a reasonable progression.  Likewise, I almost always obey the 2nd rule, unless I have a clear view of everything coming--which is not often around a really good curve (i.e. Jefferson Memorial Forest, Floyd's Knobs, etc.)
 
Wish me luck.  I hope I don't need it, but it's always nice to have on your side!

No comments: