Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Contenders for Next Year - Shoei RF-1000

This past year, I spent some good money at Cycle Gear for a modular
helmet. I have not loved the KBC modular that the bloke at CG sold
me. It has been comfortable, but slides around a little. It has been
louder than what I wanted, it fogs easily, and the shield is loose and
wobbly (and this is after replacement of shield itself and the little
side gear bits). It does not lock into that 1/4 inch opening that
allows you to defog but not eat rain. It has been easy-on-easy-off,
but for what I paid, I am fairly disappointed.

The first helmet I consider for (hopefully) the next many years is the
Shoei RF-1000. I love the features it has:

- Aerodynamic Shell Design through thorough wind tunnel and rider testing
- Greatly reduced rider fatigue and increased performance
- Semi-Dual EPS Liner System for effective ventilation
- Lightweight AIM+ Construction
- Anti-fog system [!]
- Removable Cheek pads available in different sizes for a custom fit [!]
- Removable/Replaceable chin strap
- Standard Chin-Strap clip
- CX-1V Shield and Lock System
- Face Shield De-fogging vent [!]
- Shield is Scratch Resistant
- Shield offers optical clarity and also protects from UV A & B rays
- Quick Release Base Plate System allows for tool-less shield replacement
- Preset Shield Opening Lever With Locking Mechanism
- Aero Wing Spoiler
- Chin Curtain [!]
- Breath Guard [!]
- 5 Year Shoei Warranty [!]

I really like the anti-fog measures on this helmet. It has the
de-fogging vent, the breath guard, and then if all that doesn't get
it, you can use the shield lock system to lock it into that 1/4 inch
groove to get just the right amount of air. All the venting will help
tons in the summer, and the 5 year warranty is awesome. To boot, it
comes in a mother of a graphic, the Strife TC1, which features my
favorite colors (red, and black) and an evil looking dragon!!!! The
only thing that bothers me is it's not a modular. The price on this
beauty is a little over three Ben Franklins. That is not ungodly more
than what I paid for the KBC.

No comments: