Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Contenders for Next Year - Shoei Multitech

Our next contender for 2010 is the Shoei Multitech modular. Sure, it
doesn't come in wicked graphics, but that leaves the helmet open to
individualization via reflective stickers which I am prone to adding.
What is does have, is the lazy ease of a modular, plus these awesome
features:

- Removable Cheekpads
- Lightweight, Advanced Integrated Matrix (AIM) Shell
- CX-1V shield
- Preset shield opening lever with locking mechanism
- Integrated breath guard [!]
- Chin curtain [!]
- Neck outlet
- 3D Comfort liner
- Adjustable upper vent
- Quick release base plate system
- Cheek pad slits for eyeglasses [!]
- Shell integrated spoiler
- Sleek and aerodynamic design and combined with strict manufacturing
tolerances reduce turbulence and wind noise [!]

So we have the anti-fog of a breath guard, plus the lever locking
mechanism. You have the anti-noise features of the chin curtain, and
the aerodynamics designed for just that purpose. You have the added
feature of cheek pad slits for eyeglasses which should come in very
handy, but I'm not sure how much that would affect comfort. This bad
boy only comes in black for me. The red color is a "wine" and I'm not
having that. The price is a bit more...four and a quarter Franklins
on this one. Besides the price, it bothers me that the site I'm using
to compare (jafrum.com) does not list "5 year warranty" on this beast.
I will definately research that fact on Shoei before I decide. If it
doesn't come with a good warranty (perhaps too many moving parts to
deal with) then I might decide for the RF-1000...

1 comment:

682202 said...

I have had a Shoei Multitech for the last year and I like it very much. The breath guard is rather small and I would say not very effective. I like to ride with a tinted shield, but find my self leaving work after the sun sets luckily changing the shield only takes a second. The locking leaver only locks the shield closed. Over all it's a great helmet. It took me the better part of a year to find a helmet that fit my head, so try lots of them on. YMMV GAW