Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Garmin Scooter Mount

The Garmin Scooter Mount for my Nuvi 550 seems loose.  When the scoot vibrates, the ball socket slowly moves to the lowest position.  It's not horrible, and I think I might be able to tighten it, but I asked Garmin about it anyway.  Here's a transcript:
ME:  I note that after a short period of riding on my scooter with the Nuvi 550 on the Garmin Scooter Mount, it will slowly swivel down to it's lowest position. Is there a way to tighten the scooter mount so it does not swivel as easy?
 
GARMIN:  Have you tried tightening the mount to the bar? Is the mount too big for the scooter? Unfortunately, the mount may not fit all scooters so it might be loose. You may want to try searching for a third-party dealer that sells a mount that mounts tighter to your scooter.
 
ME:  It is not the entire mount that slips, but the swivel so you can adjust the unit up or down.  The mount itself stays perfectly in place.  It is the ball-joint swivel that is loose.  Is there a way to tighten that?
 
GARMIN:  If you can not find a way to tighten it, you may not be able to. I went ahead and ordered you a replacement scooter mount. The order number is: 19106204 and you should receive this in 5-12 business days. You may have the same problem due to the way the mount is made, however, let's give this one a try.
It is nice to see that they are willing to send out free crap in the cause of customer satisfaction.  I just hope that the scooter mount can either be tightened, or my current one is defective and the new one will work well.  I still have to get the power wire mounted.  That is like the 3rd or 4th thing on my list of scooter related tasks to get done before April and the WKRP rally...

No comments: