Thursday, May 1, 2014

Product Report: Bilt Typhoon Jacket

Bilt is one of the house brands of Cycle Gear. They offer a 5 year full warranty on manufacturer defects on their entire Bilt line...so buy them up, right?

Maybe not. I originally got the Typhoon on sale over a year ago on sale for $99. I am a big guy and the jacket fit great. I take a 4XL in this jacket, or the Joe Rocket or Power Trip jackets (both made by the same company). Note I said "this jacket" and not Bilt jackets. Even in a size larger the other Bilt jackets do not fit. I have purchased jackets up to size 7XL from leatherup or jafrum and they fit about like a 3XL.

One thing about this jacket: the thing keeps you bone dry. I've never had another that kept me this dry even in heavy rain.

It rode well for about three seasons (fall , winter, spring for me) and then the side seam blew out. I wore this jacket snug and that's the way you should wear a MC jacket. I didn't know if it was the fault of fat or  fate so I took it back in. The guys at Cycle Gear here in Louisville took it back no questions asked. I was delighted.

I wore the new 4XL for one season. Same issue. This time they suggested another jacket, giving me my full price I spent originally. I tried several on and none fit. They ordered me another.  This one lasted less than a week and this time the Velcro that closes the storm flap unravelled and came loose.

When I came back in dragging yet another jacket and expressed my irritation, they ordered me another jacket. This time in a 5XL. I've worn the 5X a while now and the only issue is one of the cuff snaps fell off.

The quality of these specific jackets is suspect. Still, for $99 per 5years it ain't that bad of a deal. And having to ride back over to CG, look at all the stuff on sale, check out other guy's bikes, and just plain having an extra reason to ride is not something I'd complain about. I count the purchase as a wash. Not good, but not bad.  Still, I would not really recommend the CG Built Typhoon jacket if there's another that suits you at that price range.

No comments: