Sunday, May 11, 2014

REVIEW: Tyre to Travel GPS Software

A lot of you folks may know that I really like to plan intricate routes for my GPS taking all these odd little backroads I've never been on before.  Before my honeymoon trip to Niagara Falls and back, I purchased a TomTom Rider Motorcycle GPS.  Bundled with this is a software called Tyre to Travel (or just Tyre).  It was originally developed by Jan Boersma in 2006 right before I started riding, and I used it with my original Tom Tom One in a huge waterproof Otter Box mounted to my scoot's handlebars.  It was ok, but not great.  The thing I always wanted was to plan a route in Google Maps and somehow transfer it to my GPS without seventeen or twenty steps.  It was pretty good software at the time but it was still not very easy to do this.

When I became a member of the Iron Butt Society and joined their discussion email list, I found that nearly all those guys used Garmin GPS and software, so I switched.  The software I installed and used on my Garmin Nuvi 550 (one of the only waterproof GPS units under $400) was really professional and allowed the granular tweaking I do for routes.  The trouble was it was nearly impossible to plan anything on Google Maps and transfer it.  I tried web apps galore and some manual procedures to no avail.

Today, with the TomTom Rider (which is an excellent MC GPS if for only the Winding Roads route feature) I can seamlessly transfer the route I've planned from Google Maps into the Tyre Software and then right into the GPS unit ready to select and ride.

No comments: