Friday, April 18, 2008

Update on Jacket from Jafrum.com

Well, a lot of people say "you get what you pay for". I believe thatto an extent, but I did buy this rock-bottom cheap Chinese scooter.It has worked out well, but I was prepared in so much as I knew what Iwas getting into. I found a cool site for discount (read: cheap)motorcycle apparel. I knew my leather jacket would be too hot for allsummer, so I got this textile jacket. Now I can't speak for how wellis protects you in a slide (thank God!) but the quality, while itfirst appeared good, is merely (like the scooter itself) adequate.


Similar to the scooter, a few minor problems have cropped up, but nothing that is just horrendous. The first thing is it had a nylonstrap with plastic cinch strap across one pocket. One side came apartand it was dangling, so I cut off the other side. I think you weresupposed to use it to stow your gloves.

The second thing was a smallrubber tab that came off. They are on each pocket, and there was a bottom strap that went over the zipper at the waist. the tab brokeoff.

The last thing that happened was that the zipper broke. Not sothat it doesn't work (or I WOULD be having a fit)--it was the pullthat broke. I was able to fix this as well to some degree (you can see in the picture.

So overall, it was really cheap--like $50 with free shipping, and it sheds water admirably. It has 600 denier protection, and has hi-vis reflective striping. Also, it has the CE armor at elbow, shoulder, and spine. It clearly will not hold up forever, but I still feel like it was a good deal for someone who needs protection, but doesn't want to pay $200-$500 for it. In my opinion, full body leather just doesn't work out when you're riding around on a scooter. Maybe if I get a Burgman or Silverwing...

No comments: