Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Weekend Two-Bridges 2 - flat tire

We had Jeremy with is 50cc which does fine, but you don't want a line of cars and trucks behind you so on occasion I will pull off the side and let faster moving traffic by.  We got almost in to Corydon, and JD said my tire looked low.  Well I just thought it was me on the scooter, but he said "no, you need some air."  Luckily there was a service station across the street and they looked like they were open so I went and asked to use their air.  The guy working there said no problem.  I went to air up my back tire and I could hear hissing.  I had a good-sized hole in the tire!  I thought I was completely screwed, but the guy had a patch kit.  He bragged on the hole-plug kit and we asked "so how soon should I replace this...will it make it back to Louisiville?"  He told us a story about the trucking company down the road that hauls for the rock quarry.  One of their big dump trucks had a slash in the side wall about 5 inches and they just stacked these plugs one on top of the other until it was filled.  He says the chemical galvanizes the rubber to the tire's rubber and it will hold forever.  The one on the dump truck (which from his explanation you're not supposed to plug a hole in the side-wall with most plug kits) lasted until the tire was completely worn out!  He said just to run like it had never happened!

No comments: