Monday, June 22, 2009

Pre-Rally Weekend

Saturday I went and did errands. I went first to Yamaha of Louisville
to get the stuff I needed for my 'tune up' this weekend. I got 2
quarts semi-synth Yamalube, an oil filter, and a new NKG plug. My
service was past due and I have been getting antsy about it. After
seeing that full-synth was $19.99 and blend was $10.99, I will use
automotive from here on out. That is just plain simple math. Full
synth auto (same rating 10w50 is what they gave me) is like $6 per
quart. I did feel stupid...

On the way back I rode over to Cycle Gear to look around and really
didn't need anything. They still managed to sell me some plastic
cleaner/polish that is useable on all plastics. It works pretty good,
tho I don't care for aerosol sprays... Also *sigh* a new sticker for
the mud flap "YES IT GOES FAST -- NO YOU CAN'T RIDE IT!" I couldn't
help myself... I went shopping for a new bottle holder too. I found
one for bicycles at Dick's Sporting goods for $5. It was already
black! I went to Home Depot to find a way to mount my camera easily.
They couldn't find their asses there, but I just bought a couple flat
shelf brackets which when cut down with the dremmel and painted black
would work for just about anything. I used one to mount the drink
holder to my farkle bar, and saved the other. The camera I mounted to
the same arm which holds the GPS/Aqua-box.

My friend Jeremy (who is going to help me the next day with the
maintainence) has done some work on his bike. He needs to go test it
and calls to see if I want to join him. He has an awesome route, but
we don't get out of town until about 8pm. Not usually a big deal. I
pass him once and pull over to change my sunglasses to regular... We
hit the twisties, and it seems to me very scenic and fun, but one
problem...miles of twisty paved road where everybody's gravel drive
dumps out into the street!! I had a couple "oh sh*t" moments, but
only felt the rear wheel slip a little once. Fairfield Kentucky
smells like feet... In Bloomfield we stopped for gas. Jeremy was
pushing his bike up towards mine to make room for someone to use his
pump and this very beligerent guy says "that thing sure runs quiet".
We say nothing, J. just smiles at him. Then when Jeremy goes in to
pay, the guy says (while putting $80 into his big truck) "Don't you
wish gas was a quarter a gallon?" He had a real smartass tone...so I
told him I wouldn't be too bothered if it went back up to $4. You
could see this p*ssed him off. He said "You wouldn't rather pay a
quarter for a gallon of gas?" Again I told him it didn't make much
difference to me at 65 miles per gallon (an exaggeration...I have been
getting around 52mpg and slowly climbing). This really sent him over
the edge, but I'm thinking nobody has a gun to his friggin head. He
was the only person in his big new 4X4 truck with necessary aux tank.
He could have done a lot better for himself and our environment. I
just told him have a great day and went in to pay my bill.

J. and I agreed that early would work best due to the heat, so we met
up and started on the tune-up that Lois needed. It was really cool to
have someone so mechanically oriented and knowledgable to advise me
for the first time. Also someone who can judge the proper torc with
his bare hands. Jeremy is really cool especially for his age. My
Uncle Red who is in his 70's is the only guy I know who can do stuff
like that successfully... Uncle Red had been known to place his ear
to a good solid pine 2X4 and place that against the engine block so he
could diagnose internal engine problems. At least that is how the
story goes! I bet given time, Jeremy will be just as wicked as that.
He's already on his way... Got the stuff done just as it started to
rain. Work sucked up Jeremy's time so I went home and worked on my
farkle bar. I removed it, then added the camera and drink mount. I
got the paint done (flat black) and it seems to be ok, but I'm waiting
for dry weather to put it back on.

I probably put 200 miles on this weekend just screwing around. It was
fun (except for the leg cramps I've been having!) and then today makes
up for it. I had to cage it to work because it was raining. By the
time I got here it had cleared up some and began to dry. Now i'm
grumpy.

No comments: