Tuesday, June 30, 2009

GASOLINE RALLY09-Departure - No Nathan, no New Steve

I accidentally overslept. I woke when Jeremy texted me at 9am to see
if we could leave early because he was tired of watching television.
I got to Metro Scoot around 10:30am. Kat was nice enough to put my
luggage in her trunk. She had to come thru Louisville on the way
home, so that was nice. The ride back was just 5 scoots. Jeremy led
the route again with myself, Joan, Steve and Jan. Getting out of town
sucked...the roads are bad and I thought I might need dental work
before too much more! Nate had left early to get on the interstate
home. At first I was wishing I had joined him, but 1 hour into
Jeremy's route home and I was hooked. I would like to say there was
no gravel but I can not. What I can say is there was no gravel ROADS.
We went on a couple of places where there were huge patches of torn
up pavement with gravel in them. The route was pretty much flawless
as you can get. Jeremy puts a lot of time and effort into is
planning, and it shows. We got close to Story, IN again and I was
racing around a curve trying to keep up with Jeremy on his
SR50...well, I got to close to the edge! There was about 5 inches of
pavement past the white line, then about 5 more inches of grass after
that--then the huge nasty ditch in a straight drop!! I slowed, braked
a little and leaned in just in the knick of time... Later Joan told
me grass and gravel were flying out my back wheel---aparently it was a
little worse than it actually felt at the time. I was really lucky.

We pulled up at the stop and Jeremy asked if we wanted to go back to
the Story Inn. I pointed to the road out of town and we left as
quickly as we came in. We finally did stop for gas and Mc Donalds in
a small burg that starts with a B.... The rest of the way home was
fairly mundane, but it was still really nice to be riding with
friends. At Sellersburg I opted to get on the interstate. I waved
bye to everyone and shot out for home. I worried that Kat might get
there with my luggage and be waiting around. All in all, it was a
super weekend. You can see the pictures here

No comments: