Monday, July 27, 2009

Rear Tire & Olympia GEL Gloves

I priced a rear tire at Derby Cycles in Shelbyville, KY.  This is the only place I've had any maintainence done on Lois (first service).  They gave me a price of $120-125 for a rear tire mounted, and I think he said that was a Michelin tire.  I probably need to do this soon as I am nearing 8000 miles.  Still, I have tread left on the rear, it's not showing any threads or signs of dangerous wear, so I might try to get 8500 out of it.  I will just have to watch how I ride of course, and in what conditions.  Much longer on this tire and I would not want to do a lot of riding at high speeds in the rain.  I check the wear weekly to keep an eye on it.
 
I finally wore a hole in my Olympia GEL gloves.  I might try patching them because it is only the left index finger that is showing lots of wear, and they really are comfortable and cool for summer.  I do have a pair of full leather work gloves that I've been using, but they are that brownish-yellowish-orangish leather, and it doesn't go with my jacket at all.  I use them when it's really hot outside and I'm going without my jacket (which is usually only when I'm in-town, and not out putting a lot of miles on).  At higher speeds I like to have as much gear as I can stand.  Full-face helmet 100% of the time is pretty much without saying though...

No comments: