Monday, March 29, 2010

Wrenching & Screwed

I have to get the belt and air filters changed on my scooter before WKRP rally. Unfortunately this has turned from a 2 hour job into a week long job. My friend Jeremy and I started working on the scooter at 4pm on Saturday and made very little progress. We did get the new fender on, and ran the wire for the GPS, but every bolt and machine screw was frozen in place for the filters and belt. The phillips heads were getting gouged out pretty quickly. My friend Vince sent me a text message to ask how it was going and I told him it was not. He came over to help, even running to Sears to get a set of Easy-outs which helped get another screw or bolt off. Every one will have to be replaced anyway... Sunday, Jeremy and I ended up getting a few more off using a drill with phillips head atttachment. We did manage to get the right side air box off, only to find that they had sent me the wrong part. At least when I do get the correct part it may be much easier to get the screws off...we are replacing them all with stainless steel. Between Jeremy and myself we have buggered up the heads of all the screws & bolts that have to come out. One has the entire head sheered off. All the phillips heads are rounded out at least somewhat and will have to be replaced. We finally got one of the major bolts out to find it is a specialized bolt with a rubber flange thing. This has quickly become a nightmare. I have less than two weeks before the rally. Jeremy thinks it will be fine, just take more time. Right now my bike is in peices over at his place and cannot be ridden. We had to stop working about 4pm Sunday due to rain and I had to clean up and be ready to get the kids at 730. I am really hoping the penetrating lubricant we got at Autozone will help. Everything else hasn't so far...

No comments: