Thursday, March 13, 2008

Alarm problems...

I am officially disappointed with my dealer. I sent him an email about how my alarm is not working properly. He said the old standby "just don't use it." Well I am of the mind that if you pay for something, and its not working, you ought to get a new one or a refund...just as if the tire was cut, the seat was broken in half or the carb doesn't work. I know some of you are saying "but it's a Chinese scooter dealer" and to that, I say I know, but I did months of homework, asked probably a thousand questions before I purchased. I went with the one that I found most highly recommended by the most people. Scootdawg forum praises my dealer up and down...

Anyway, the thing that I am mad about is this: I sent him another email asking for instructions because I felt like I was just not using the fob right to arm/disarm/start the scooter. Everybodys had trouble and most people don't use them. He said "just call me and I will walk you through it." Well, this morning, when I arrived at work, I thought I would just TEST the alarm. I armed it using the lock button. I went in to work. Came back out just now at lunch and guess what? It was still armed, but none of the buttons on my keyfob worked. I could not shut it off. I called my dealer on the cell phone and he answered. We went through all the steps on how to use the alarm and (of cours) nothing worked. He had no clue what to do any more than I did. I was very disapointed. He suggested getting up under the scoot to try and take out the fuse that goes to the alarm. That was not happening in the parking lot at work while the scooter was screaming at me "thief! thief!" Finally we come to the pearl of knowledge of this post:

IF YOUR SCOOTER ALARM IS ARMED, AND YOU CAN NOT DISARM IT, THIS IS WHAT TO DO:

You should very carefully pop the seat on your scooter to get to the battery compartment, and take off the negative or postive lead. This will kill power to the alarm and "reset" it. It may chirp at you if you are not careful enough...you can't put much pressure on the scooter at all.

Note: Starting the scooter with the key will not work. It will continue to happily alarm and shut off the engine.

Update: My dealer replied that "electronics are not under warranty" and that it would cost a lot of money to special-order one from China.

Warning: Please read through my blog if you are going to buy a scooter from Valley Scooters. They may yet be the best of the dealers out there (which probably isn't saying much), but I am disappointed in the lack of knowledge from John D. about my particular scooter. Its like he's never even seen one--which since he's mainly a drop-shipper, may actually be the case. He does talk like he's been working on them for years.

1 comment:

Amorphous Menace said...

did you ever get this sorted out? i'm having a similar problem with my Peace scooter and i'm told they all have the same alarm chip more or less...

did disconnecting the battery help?