Monday, March 17, 2008

Ran out of Gas

I was purposely running very low on gas today coming home from work. I wanted to cycle through all the (possibly questionable) fuel in my tank, plus I wanted to see how the gauge was reading, and also how many miles before I have to fill up. Well, here's my conclusions.

1. When you run out of gas, you should be prepared for your engine to die without warning. I was not. I thought it would sputter or something and give some indicator that it was going down. I was in the left hand lane of a 4 lane road. There was (luckily) a gas station directly off the street, but to the right, so I had to beg to get over.

2. My odometer reads 1.1 miles for every real mile (approximate), so I had 191 miles on the odometer, but that was actually about 172 miles.

3. I used 3.363 gallons to fill up (the YP260 manual says 11 liters which is 2.9 gallon tank capacity) all the way to the top, which I believe is where it was when I hit the trip meter.

4. That gives me 51.1mpg. That in itself is nothing to sneeze at, but I had hoped for closer to 60mpg. I'm told when I get to 1000 or so it should improve? Also, it should run better and get better acceleration.

No comments: