Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Scootering with your windows down... / Using proper gear

This morning, I got to work and was thinking "Man, I should have worn
my leather jacket or put the liner in my armored riding jacket."
That's when I realized I had ridden to work with all the vents in my
jacket open! I would have been fine if not for that. People often
ask about the gear for riding a motorcycle or scooter. Just yesterday
a co-worker said "I bet you rode this weekend because the weather was
perfect. What exactly is the perfect weather for you?" I told him I
was perfectly comfortable day-long from 40 degrees to about 90
degrees, and he seemed to doubt that by the look on his face. I
explained that it was all in the gear. I always wear jeans or khakis,
plus a polo shirt or t-shirt with my boots or doc martens. Over this,
in cold weather I can wear my Colorado Chaps, and you can even wear
thermal underwear if that's not enough. Then on top you can sub a
long sleeved shirt, also I can use either a fleece vest or a hooded
sweatshirt. Then the jacket over top, with liner. On my hands, I
have leather gloves with thinsulate. This is good for being on the
road for about 2 hours. If I intend to do any distance in the winter,
I may need to look into a heated vest. My friend John from Texas uses
chemical heat packs in his boots and gloves. I think this is a good
choice for me also because I don't want to tax my electric system too
much.

If it's warmer, you can start shedding layers and opening vents until
you're comfortable.

That brings us to higher temperatures. For the hottest days, I
sometimes forgo the Colorado Chaps, though if I am going to be out a
while (not just commuting to work) I use them. They are my road-rash
protection, and you should never be without that. The 3-season jacket
gets put away for the Power Trip mesh jacket. This keeps you cooler
than even just a t-shirt. I think it tends to hold in some
moisture--just enough so that it gives you extra cooling when you are
moving. When you are not, you perspire a little, and that helps when
you are moving again. This is as close to air conditioning as it
gets. Am I going to ride in 110 degree weather to a job interview?
No. Will I commute the 20 minutes to work at 90 degrees? Definately.

I have rode short distance in shorts, without jacket or even good
leather shoes. I don't make a habit of it. One thing I never
sacrifice is wearing a full-face helmet. I have a shorty helmet, and
I've only worn it once. The first time I took a grape-sized june bug
full in the face-shield taught me I will not be wearing that half
helmet much.

No comments: