Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Constructing the Footpeg Mounts

My first hurdle was trying to find some metal and a way that I could
work with it. I live in an apartment and have no workshop area. This
would require cutting, shaping, and welding. I looked at steel bar
stock at Home Depot. It's pretty expensive for a four foot section
and it would require my cutting every peice to length. I also needed
a flat plate piece to use for the mounting to my footboard. Home
depot did not carry any sheet metal except for two foot square sheets
which were very thin. I decided to use some items I found in their
hardware section. For the bars, I decided to use 10" L brackets, and
for the mounting plate, a large strap hinge (similar to the ones
shown, but the largest Home Depot had).

The plan was to cut the strap hinge apart and bend it to match the
footboard, and bend the bracket and cut it to the correct length.

No comments: