Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The foot peg bracket

It was a real bear to bend the ten inch L shaped brackets. I used a
steel C-clamp and clamped the bracket (which is about 1/4 inch thick)
to my table, then pried up on the bracket. The first one went with
only minor trouble. The second one managed to break the C-clamp and I
had to finish bending it by beating it into shape with a hammer. They
do not match perfectly, but they are close. Originally I had thought
I would have a 1-2 inch section of bar stock welded to the bottom to
affix the foot peg to. This is what the foot peg is made for. But I
soon came to realize that in the space I had to work with and the bend
angles, it would be easier to just modify the round bar-mount foot peg
to a square shape instead. It still needs some clean-up work, and I
will still have to have it welded to the mounting plate (the part made
from the hinge) but I have no doubt it will hold any reasonable weight
put on it. Would I stand on it? No. But I would not worry about
resting my foot on it as long as needed, and that's the point.

No comments: