Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cruising Footpegs on the Yamaha Majesty

Cruisers often have "highway footpegs" that are used when taking long
trips. You see them mounted on those huge chrome engine guard bars.
Well, the Majesty not only is devoid of all chrome, but also all metal
bars on the outside of the bike. There is a frame, but it's
completely encased in plastic. Most any touring scooter has
footboards designed in a similar manner. The Burgman, Majesty,
Reflex, etc. all have a flat part where you can sit your feet
comfortably with knees bent as if sitting upright in a chair. They
also have a slanted 45 degree (or thereabouts) upper part where you
can put your feet and recline slightly to get a different riding
position. Neither of these, on my Majesty afford me the room to
stretch my legs out completely (or near completely) without holding my
leg up against either wind, gravity, or both. On a ride of more than
4 or so hours, I have noticed that my right knee doesn't like to
remain in a bent position for that long and I need to get off the bike
and move around. This kills you when you're really trying to make
time.

I have been to other rides and rallies and seen some examples of how
to mount "highway pegs" on a touring scooter. Generally they are
mounted to the footboard. The problem with this is: the footboard
contains not much structurally in the way of metal. The best example
I have seen was on a fellow's Burgman in which he created a large flat
mounting plate in order to take pressure off any one specific point.

No comments: