Friday, May 28, 2010

Interview - Jerome from Philadelphia

Jerome was born and grew up in the Philadelphia, PA area and still resides there. He's been married for over 30 years, and teaches Computer Technology at a local college. He is a member of a local scooter riding club, and also rides with several local motorcycle clubs.

KSC: How long have you been riding? How long on a scooter?

Jerome: I rode when in college and then again afterwards for several years until the child bearing years hit full gear. I returned to riding in 2005. I rode a Vespa GS 160 Scooter in my youth (late 60's) and graduated to a Yamaha RD200 "pocket rocket" (early 70s). Upon my return I purchased a 1986 Honda Elite 250, which eventually gave way to a 2005 Kymco People 250, 2006 Burgman 400 and finally to my current 2006 Yamaha Majesty, which I have had since November of 2007.





KSC: Aside from the breaks, it looks like you've been on scooters most of your life. What inspired you to get the RD200? Did that experience steer you back to scooters?



Jerome: The breaks were pretty long, but I definitely have ridden scooters much longer than motorcycles. The RD200 was a great bike, and I went to it because it had more speed, a bigger gas tank, and got good gas mileage. I went back to scooters because I like the protection from the weather (I ride all year round), the underseat storage and the belt drive instead of chains (I could never afford the shaft driven motorcycles). The other reason I went back to scooters was I saw a local rally and thought that the 100+ scooters riding down the road look cool. I am a rebel at heart and like the idea of riding something different. If I had ran into a motorcycle group I like I might have went that way. The final thing that made scooters the logical choice was I had been riding mini-electric scooters and electric bikes from 1999 to 2005. I put over 35,000 miles on little vehicles whose top speed was usually 15-20 mph. Being very secure, the fact that I am almost 6' 5" tall at 235 lbs and that I looked ridiculous riding the little electric scoots, was not a deterrent. Getting a "big" gas scooter almost seemed like cheating. KSC: From your 158cc Vespa up to your Burgman and now Yamaha 400 you have steadily went with bigger bikes. Do you think you may continue on to a Silverwing or Burgman 650?Jerome: Up until 2007, I never thought I would every use a scooter or motorcycles larger than ~ 250cc. I moved-up "only" because I got interested in endurance long distance riding via the Iron Butt Association. I didn't want to just do a single Saddle Sore 1000 to join the organization, I wanted to do numerous and more difficult rides. A 250cc scoot would not be suitable, so I went one step up to 400cc. I have no interest in going larger unless a model comes out with a large gas tank that makes 200 miles a certainty even in difficult situations (head winds, mountains, etc). The mileage per tank of the Majesty is at least equal to that of the Silverwing and Burgman 650, so changing offers me nothing. KSC: I see you have owned both a Suzuki Burgman 400 and a Yamaha Majesty. Can you give us your observations on the differences between the two?Jerome: I owned a 2006 Burgman 400 on which I did my first SS1000. I loved it and it held up well until a really minor fender bender broke a lot of plastic on it and the replacement cost was ridiculously high. I traded it in at great loss on my current 2006 Majesty. The Majesty is superior in every way to the 2006 Burgman, but I believe they have caught up with the 2007 and later models. The 26k interval between valve checks still keeps the Majesty on top in my mind.




KSC: I really like my 2008 Majesty. What, in your opinion, is better about the Yamaha?



Jerome: Better is relative, but for me: I wear a XXXL HJC helmet that will not fit under any other scooter seat I have tried, including the Burgman 650, The passenger seat is split such that one can mount luggage there and still have easy access to under the seat storage, and its power band is made for highway riding. This will seen as a weakness by others as it gets poorer mileage in city driving than the Burgman. KSC: Can you tell me a bit about the local scooter club?Jerome: The EZriders is a riding club that incorporates a lot of socializing into its riding schedule. It is a "riders" club, however; meaning the ride distances are as great or greater than any of the local motorcycle clubs. There is one other IBA member, and we hold training rides with ever increasing distances for other hopefuls.




KSC: What kinds of things do you go over in the training rides? How many miles do you cover?



Jerome: We just ride. The first ride was 300 miles, the next will be 500 miles and then perhaps 750 miles.




KSC: Do you find that you enjoy group riding a lot?

Jerome: When I came back to riding, group riding was one of the main attractions. I am pretty tired of it now, and it is a dangerous proposition. I do it with local motorcycle groups in addition to my scooter group, when they are heading to a destination that interests me, using back roads. I normally don't ride backroads on my own, as I prefer the open space and safety of the interstates. Riding to Hooters or some other restaurant bar, ice cream stand, etc. doesn't do it for me.




KSC: I find, to the contrary, that I agree with William Least Heat-Moon, author of Blue Highways when he says "Speed corrupts travel far more than bad Chinese food." meaning of course that off-interstate travel gives you more opportunity for a wider range of experiences. You see a great variation of scenery, people, and places. Do you disagree?



Jerome: I don't disagree, but I don't ride to see the "real America". Interstate scenery is fine for me, but I do sometimes ride special roads like RT 50 through WV, the "Dragon" and nearby roads, the Chesepeake Bay Bridge, etc. All scenery is okay with me. If I want to see scenery or certain areas, I ride the interstate to that area, and then ride local roads. I ride for the pure enjoyment of riding "Destination is only an excuse". Unless a particular area or backroad route is exceptionally interesting, I usually am bored and tired after spending all day and going only a couple of hundred miles. Backroads are also second to city and suburban intersections for danger to two-wheel riders. Most of the top touring veterans I have known or have heard of that died on the road, where on backroads, often at night. The IBA has more than 40K US members who travel the interstates doing all kinds of crazy endurance rides and very, very few die on the interstates. Those that have trouble are usually on backroads (granted usually at night).




KSC: If you really do like to explore America and see different things, then I agree that it is handy to not waste time on slow roads when you can get there on the interstate quickly, then do your exploration when you get where you're going. But doesn't this really goes against your idea of "Destination is only an excuse"? I find it to be a conundrum. I too want to go places and get there quickly. We gain safety in this mode of riding, but what experiences are we throwing away at the cost of speed?



Jerome: I don't think some all day backroad riding is boring because of the time-to-distance ratio (slower speed). I don't travel the interstates to ride fast or even to arrive somewhere quickly, unless I am doing a certified ride that requires such. I ride the interstates because they are more exhillerating, and I don't find the backroads to necessarily be more intersting in terms of scenery. In the backroads you ride among the trees, but you can't see the forest. On the interstates you see the forest, but you aren't among the trees. Its a matter of perspective and preference. I reject the idea that backroads are more interesting by their very nature. I meet a diaspora of people at rest stops, gas stops, motels, etc., including many of the people who live in those backroads. It is not either/or for me, as stated earlier. There are some areas that I want to be "among" and others that I am fine with seeing from a far as an landscape.




KSC: You say you also ride with motorcycle clubs. With my Majesty I feel like I fit in both with modern scooterists, and also motorcycle riders. Some feel like they belong in neither group and tend to ride only with other maxi-scooters. What are your thoughts on that?



Jerome: I like to ride only with scooters or bikes that are highway capable. I do not identify with smaller scooters anymore, though when I first started, that is who I rode with. I rode to the big rallies like Philly, NYC, and WKRP, WDC, Baltimore, Three-mile-Island, etc., and it was blast for a while. I don't plan on riding behind a bunch of old two-strokes ever again. I do believe that neither traditional scooter riders or motorcycle riders feel I belong. Only other maxi-scooter owners truly accept me. This doesn't deter me from riding with motorcycle groups on their Harley's or other big cruisers, of course, as I can ride most of the local motorcycle riders into the ground, which become apparent after time.




KSC: I see this a lot too. Motorcycle riders often underestimate the capability of a maxi-scooters. They sometimes view them as toys. Do you find that motorcyclists take it well when you disprove their preconceptions?



Jerome: Most motorcycle riders barely ride. They are more interested in posing and playing out some bad-boy fantasy in their minds. They are scared to ride on the interstates so they claim it is boring, and cling to secondary roads where their big 900 lbs of iron are the worse possible choices for doing twisties. They like to use motorcycles as another social status tool, or chance to have a social life. I am not knocking any of my description above, its just that that isn't why I and many other endurance riders, and flower sniffing people have motorcycles. I could care less how non-riders take me. Serious riders be they endurance or just leisurely tourers see me as an novelty, which I am, and don't feel threatened in the least and have no problem riding with or being in the same organization.




KSC: What exactly is your definition of "flower sniffers".



Jerome: The creed for endurance long distance riding is to see how far one can ride in a given period of time. Flower Sniffers may also like to ride long distances, but it is the tour, the scenery, the relaxed pace that interest them. In other words, they want to have time to stop and smell the flowers. Endurance riders are driven to stop as little as possible. I am a flower sniffer at heart, but finances and my wife's lack of interest in two wheel travel have guided me more towards being an endurance rider. I won't be so selfish as to go on a 21 day ride across America while she sits home and twiddles her thumbs. A 3 day trip across, however, is tolerable and that way I get to ride across America (or wherever) and not be away from home too long.




KSC: With all your LD riding, and the fact that you said you'd like to get at least 200 miles between fuel-ups, have you considered a aux fuel tank?



Jerome: Actually I want my bike to be able to do at least 200 miles between fill-ups, but I personally stop every 150-180 miles. I just don't like running the tank to near empty every time, it is nerve racking. I should get an aux tank, but hate the concept. Rallies are the only time you can't carry extra gas, and I am not willing to get an aux tank just for the 3 rallies I am likely to do. It probably will cost me a finishing spot in the IB5000, but I will take my chances with the "stock" Majesty.




KSC: Do you feel that the uniqueness of the maxi-scooter is one of the reasons other riders see you as a novelty?



Jerome: Long distance and other motorcycle riders see me as a novelty because there aren't many maxi-scooter riders riding long distances, or riding with local motorcycle groups. There aren't many maxi-scooters period, compare to sports bikes and cruisers. Many people tend to be herd animals. Until the day comes that maxi-scooters make up a significant percentage of the riding public, they will continue to be a novelty. People are unaware of the capabilities of the maxi-scooters and have no desire to learn. They aren't going to ride one regardless of capability until "the cools kids" do.




KSC: What percentage of your riding would you consider endurance or long-distance riding? What specialized equipment do you use on your Majesty? Have you made any additions or modifications that allow for greater distance or more comfortable travel?



Jerome: About 80% of my mileage is from endurance riding, but only about 5% of my total riding time. I commute to work and around town and do small rides with local friends, groups, or ride solo most of the time. I don't believe in 3rd party modifications so I have made none. I have a gps and will be adding some extra lighting, and that's about it.




KSC: What type of GPS do you use?



Jerome: A Garmin 2720 and Garmin 2610 as backup.




KSC: About how many miles have you put on your 06 Majesty?



Jerome: I have put 27,500 miles+ in 30 months. I would have put a lot more (at least 8,000) but missed last July through September due to a accident. I also missed the Cape Fear rally this year because the dealer didn't service my bike right. Its an 2006 Majesty but it was a dealer demo and I didn't buy it until the end of November 2007.




KSC: Do you consider the YP400 a capable bike for something like the Iron Butt Rally?



Jerome: Yep, because I am going to do the IB5000 (~5,000+ miles in 5 days, this August). If I finish that rally I will be automatically accepted into next years IBR. Note, that if I make the IBR next year, that will probably be the end of my rallying, and there will be an extreme transformation of my riding from endurance (I will probably do 1 a year for a couple more years) to flower sniffin. If I don't make the IBR I will do a 10-10 as part of a 48/10, 50cc "Gold", and maybe a 100ccc, or perhaps create a new ride.






KSC: What do you like best about riding on two wheels?



Jerome: Exposure to the elements, small foot print, the need for greater skill and alertness, economical, therefore allowing me to travel the country, low cost of purchase and insurance, easy parking, and the closeness to the road at speed.




KSC: You speak about the small foot print...are you speaking of the fuel economy and smaller ecological impact of a scooter? Do you ever get questions about the gas mileage? What about the whole "green factor" of riding a scooter. Do you play into that or make a point of it?



Jerome: I just mean you can lane split (where legal), park where cars can't, etc. I don't think max-scooters are that much of a plus for the environment. They get crappy gas mileage in comparison to much larger vehicles. A 1200cc BMW motorcycle gets equal or better gas mileage than a Silverwing, Burgman, Majesty, etc at 75-80 mph highway speeds. A Prius and other small cars with 4-6 cylinders and hybrids do almost as well a single/dual cylinder maxi-scooter.





KSC: What is your all-time favorite stretch of road?



Jerome: The roads "around" the "Dragon" and I-81.




KSC: What do you feel like scooterist share in common with all riders?



Jerome: Danger.




KSC: What do you feel sets us scooterists apart from other riders?



Jerome: They probably ride for more utilitarian reasons rather than for social posing or the thrill of the ride.




KSC: Jerome, do you have any final thoughts for people who might be interested in endurance or long distance riding?



Jerome: Contrary to what many people would think, endurance riding is not a trial-by-fire. If endurance riding was painful or stressful, I wouldn't do it. I think I also speak for the LD endurance riding community. Select the bike that fits you best or make it fit you best. Stop and rest/stretch/sleep according to your most comfortable-productive rhythm, safety first, and always have a road service plan. My final comment is "for me", the Majesty scooter is the best all-around two wheel transport currently available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great interview !!! Not only that this guy is from my home town Philadelphia , PA !!! I did not know Scooters were big there . I know back in the 80's Mopeds were big up in that area .