Friday, May 28, 2010

My initial review of the Metzeler Feelfree Tires

.

REGARDING WEAR:
-------------------------
I had the stock IRC tire on the front of the bike. The odo tells me I
got ~16,200 miles on the original IRC front tire. I changed the stock
IRC tire on the rear at 9,200 miles to a Birdgestone Hoop. The Hoop
has been on now for 7,000 miles which is not as good as the original
IRC, but I have been riding a lot more 2up with Kat.

Friends and I removed the front and rear wheels on the Yamaha Majesty.
They went to Yamaha-Suzuki of Louisville for mount and balance. I
put the 120/80-14 Metzeler Feelfree tire on the front, and the
150/70-13 on the rear.

Recap:

Front: IRC Stock tire 16,200 miles.
Rear: IRC Stock tire 9,200 miles. Bridgestone Hoop 7,000 miles

We shall see how the Metzelers do on wear. Only the future will tell that.

.

REGARDING PERFORMANCE:
------------------------------------
My friend Ralph who usually rides a Piaggio MP3 had some comments that
the rear felt "loose" and seemed to indicate a general sloppiness.
Coming from my own experience with this specific bike, I feel like the
Metzeler tires have a good response. When you lean in to turn, it
does drop into the turn quickly, but once I get used to it, that will
be a very good thing. If they are exceptionally good or bad on wet
road, I will report this, but I must admit my main concern has been
wear and how long the tires last.

No comments: