Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Assembly & Setup-Email to Chuck!

Given the nature of these MIC scooters, I needed to have somewhere to assemble and do all the pre-ride inspection and mechanicals. I could get the crate delivered to my apartment, but it is against the rules to change your oil or even wash your car there on the premisis. I started thinking that I might be forced to buy from a local dealer for a good bit more money that I wanted to spend. That's when I though of my friend Chuck. He has a nice house with a full 2-car garage. I asked him if he could loan his garage, and if he might like to help put the scooter together. He said he would love to!

So now, I'm going to order my scooter from Valley Scooters ( www.scootersus.com) and have it delivered to Chuck's house. I will have to do this on a Friday, taking a long weekend so that I can run it around locally for the break-in period. You have to make sure the rings are seated properly so that it will improve engine performance and life. You can check out this break-in method/theory at http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. Most of the people I've spoken to swear by this method. Basically the nutshell is to run the motor hard for the first 20 miles or so. After this, I've learned that you must change the oil immediately. The assembly and quality of the engine is such that you will have the possibility of metal shavings that were created during the manufacture of the engine. You need to "rinse" these out by changing the oil after the initial break-in to prevent damage. It's like the flash you see on plastic things that are cheap. Sometimes this excess material happens.

The Chinese see only the bottom line cost and pretty much disregard quality. Fortunately (and arguably) there are mimimum standards--or else nobody would buy the product. I found out the steps that need to be taken on assembly & initial break-in. I outlined it in an email to Chuck:



Here's a short-run list of [stuff] we'll have to do that is basically mandatory for these Chinese scooters. They do not have near the quality of a Honda or Vespa. Parts are cheaper (though China makes a good % of parts for the brand-name bikes, on their own labels they will always choose the cheapest available) and assembly does not have standard quality control, thus a dealer-level PDI must be performed. Especially fluids and the rubber fuel and vacuum lines are very sub-standard.

Basic Setup & Assembly - this is mandatory stuff.
1. Perform any assembly up to and including front wheel & brakes, handle bars, windshield, trunk, etc. Are you scared yet?
2. Replace spark plug
3. replace battery
4. replace all fluids
5. replace all vacuum and fuel lines
6. check tires and inflation
7. inspect and tighten all nuts and bolts
8. inspect air filter & lights
9. adjust carb only if necessary
10.warm up thoroughly for 10 minutes
11. run hard for break-in of 20 miles (seals rings properly)
12. change oil again
13. give overall inspection and solve any problems

#4, 5, and 7 will involve some level of body panel removal.

Please let me know if you have the necessary tools for assembly and trouble-shooting.

Tools
Metric short and deep well sockets
Metric box and closed wrenches
multi-meter
screwdrivers phillips and flat head
allen and torx wrenches
pliers, vice-grips
pump oil can

I will just purchase any other tools that are necessary--i'll need them eventually. The only problem I see is if there are major problems out of the crate.

Does Sprint get reception at your place? I can bring the wireless card that I use to telecommute for work and use it to get the internet in case of emergency. I am a member of several boards and groups that offer a tremendous amount of technical support if I can contact them with questions.

No comments: