Friday, November 16, 2007

Shopping around Louisville - Roketa

Scootering in this area is still new. I have seen a few of the classic scooters around town, and more than a few "DUImobiles". They HAD to be selling them somewhere. I figured I would just keep my eye out. I did NOT bother to look at Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or even worry about seeking out a Vespa dealer. I saw for sale only one make of scooter. It was Roketa. This is a MIC scooter so I started digging into the company and looking for comments and opinions.

I found out that you should never, never, ever consider a Roketa. They are all 100% crap that breaks down and most the time never runs. You can't get parts, dealers can't support them, and nobody else will even touch them. That is what I found out initially... However, on the Scootdawg forum, I have found some people happy with theirs. So I thought it might still be an option.

I was liking more and more the classic look. Roketa makes one called the Capri. It is cool looking with chrome handlebars like a motorcycle. I am not sure what is it styled after, but it looks nice. That was the one I really wanted. I found one to look at and sit on here in Louisville at Bluegrass Powersports. He wanted like $1600 for it. I am planning on getting one at tax time, so I figured I could swing that much.

I saw two other places that had Roketas. One was CC Rider. They wanted $1800 for another 150cc, not the Capri. I figured they could get the Capri for about the same price, but I didn't ask for sure. The last place was Jack's Motorcycles. They were listed as an authorized dealer in Louisville for Roketa. For the same exact scooter, they wanted $3500. I thought immediately this was off, so I checked online. You can order these things for $1200 including shipping! Jack was off his rocker!

Another authorized dealer wanted $1200. So I have a variety to choose from! I'll go with the $1200 guy for sure!

No comments: