Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Motorcycle Instruction Permit

It only took a few minutes and $14 to get my motorcycle license. It took me a bit to figure out which building over at Bowman Field to go into, but I got it right first guess. I got all 20 questions correct which was easy because its all really just a test of common sense. They probably ought to institute some similar test for marriage and before you have children!

I was thinking that its good for two years, but it looks like three. On an instruction permit you can not ride without a helmet or carry passengers, neither of which really affects me. I have two kids and it against the law to carry more than one passenger anyway. As for the helmet, 60% of all motorcycle related fatalities are from head injuries, so knowing this, what d*mb*ss would ride without one anyway? I don't have one yet, but I think the kids are going to get me one for Christmas...not that they know it yet. I have decided that I'll probably get a full-face helmet.

One thing I heard somebody say was that in a crash without a full-face, you're choosing which part you want to lose. If you get a 3/4, you choose your lower jaw. If you get a 1/2 you choose your lower jaw AND nose. With a very small shorty type helmet, I figure you're screwing around and getting into that 60% fatality zone.

I do have a lined leather-suede jacket that I will wear until it gets too hot, then I plan on getting a textile jacket. These jackets are lighter weight made with technologically protective material like kevlar, and other super strong materials. Some of them even have elbow and spine armor. Whatever it takes to keep the best percentage of my skin on my body is cool with me.

No comments: