Thursday, November 22, 2007

Made-In-China Scooters, good, bad, and ugly

The first thing to get past is the idea that every single scooter out of China is crap. I know this can't be true because some people are satisfied. Heck, Darrel takes his on riding trips every weekend with his buddies. There ARE people around who've had good experiences.

I have heard the best and quickest way to get screwed is to order off of Ebay. I thought hell, isn't that what the feedback ratings are for? Everyone I have spoken to assures me that it doesn't matter. Order a MIC scooter off Ebay and you should go ahead and bend over.

You need to minimize problems. My research is telling me that the only way to do this, is to buy from a dealer who will fully support the purchase as much as they can, and who offers a decent warranty that they will uphold. Well, never having done business with any of them, how am I to know?

I have found out that Scooterbbs is very slanted against MIC scooters and any questions there will get you immediately flamed. The Scootdawg forum is friendly and helpful. If people tell you that your MIC scooter will be crap, they do it politely.

Something else I have learned was that when you order online, what you are getting is a some-assembly-required MIC crate-scooter that has not been seen by any American. They box it up at the factory where it is assembled, and ship it. Sometimes you don't get the scooter that you ordered. Sometimes you don't get the color that you ordered. Just about every dealer will not take back a scooter without a huge restocking fee, but also they will guarantee that the scooter you get will be of equal or greater value if it is not the exact model you ordered. If you don't get the right color--you just have to deal with it.

No comments: