Friday, November 30, 2007

Next Hurdles--Distance and Licensing

Chuck just emailed me yesterday. I am not going to get the crate delivered to his home, but the shop of an auto mechanic who is a good friend of Chuck's! He says his friend has all the tools we would need--plus a fork-lift to unload the crate from the truck! How awesome is that???

With the plans for assembly finalized, I still need to figure out a couple things. The first is this: Will I make it home, riding this 2-wheel vehicle for 140 miles basically right out of the crate it came from China in? Not to mention what condition will I be in. I've never owned a motorcycle or scooter before. I've always done my point A to B in a car, truck, or van--always 4 wheels.

Well, I will have a few spare parts--like a battery, spark plug, etc. and a few tools. Plus I will have my cell phone. I'll leave early Sunday--its a 3 1/2 hour drive. Another thing is this--I'm not going to take the highway and try to deal with 70+mph. I'm staying on the state roads.

The final issue is licensing. I called the Kentucky state police. I said that I am buying a vehicle in Indiana, and I want to drive it back to Kentucky to license it. Would it be ok to drive it without a license--if I am driving it to GET it licensed. They said I should check with the Indiana state cops, but if it were in Kentucky, that would be ok if you have proof of ownership and you had insurance to cover the vehicle. I called Indiana just in case--the policeman told me that I would be a ticket if I did that. The only way to drive it is to license it. I asked him "even if I have someone follow me?" and he said if you drive without the vehicle being licensed and you are caught, you WILL get a ticket.

Well, then I thought of when I won the auction on my 1964 Ford Falcon. I drove all the way to Ohio, north of Columbus to get it. My brother Mike followed me home and we took the I-71...THROUGH Cincinnatti! So I'm guessing I'll be alright.

No comments: