Friday, April 30, 2010

Final Review: Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2 Multiset from Jafrum

I purchased my Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2 bluetooth headsets from Jafrum.com a couple months ago.  I have used them enough now to do an accurate review.
 
The Scala Rider is the first headset I have used.  At first I did not know what to expect.  These sets are a lot less expensive than other systems like Chatterbox, J & M, etc.
 
What the Scala Rider does awesome: Driver-Passenger communication.  I hear my passenger almost perfectly except at interstate speeds.  Sometimes I will have to ask her to repeat what she has said.  The battery has lasted for an entire (usually 8 hour) day of riding with no problems.  If we ride and talk the entire day, I will charge it up overnight.  This is a great way to share the riding experience in real time instead of just trying to remember for later when you stop.  As a personal observation, it can be a little distracting when she says "look at the pretty ponies!" for the third or forth time. *grin*
 
What the Scala Rider does good: FM Radio.  Once I programmed in the local stations, it is easy to hit the button which skips from one preset station to the next.  I have to keep the volume all the way up at most times, but you can hear it well.  I thought I would have a big problem with the mono vs. stereo aspect but apparently I am no audiophile because it sounds fine to me.  I did have a problem using the aux-in jack for a while.  I plugged in my ipod using the cord supplied and the music was only in one speaker and sounded horrible.  The issue was that you have to make sure and push the jack all the way in!  After that simple fix, it was fine.  I have only used this function a couple times because usually the radio is enough or I am talking to my passenger.
 
What the Scala Rider does meh. : Mobile phonecall via Bluetooth.  I will say that the interface is simple and easy to use.  If you get a call, all you have to do is make a loud noise into the mic and it will pick up.  The sync with my Samsung phone was idiot proof.  What is not so hot is the volume of the call.  I spoke with Cardo on this and they suggested I check the volume on my phone and make sure the speakers are as close to my ears as they can be.  I did make sure my phone was all the way up and I added extra velcro to make the speakers stand out more, but many times I still have to ask the caller to repeat themselves.  I usually explain I'm on my scooter and they need to speak up.  The phonecall function is not something I use often, and it works ok for emergencies, etc, but you could not have a decent conversation on the thing.
 
Range: I have not had the opportunity to use the headsets between two bikes, but I know it could easily be done.  One time I was gassing up the bike and the pump would not accept my card.  My passenger went in to the store to pay while I waited and I could hear her crystal clear the entire time at roughly 50 feet away.  I've also tested by having her remain stationary and riding away to see how far I could get.  I think I have gotten almost a block away before it started getting static and breaking up.
 
Value:  Hands down the Scala Rider headsets are great.  They do not cost an arm and a leg, they come with everything you need, and the install simply into any helmet.  I am using mine with the Shoei Multitec (which I also purchased from Jafrum.com)
 
Out of five stars I would give this headset a 4.
 
If you would like to purchase the Scala headset, Jafrum.com has several options, and advertises a 115% low price guarantee!!
 
 
Scala Rider Q2 Bluetooth Helmet Headset: The single unit of what I purchased.
http://www.jafrum.com/Accessories/Motorcycle-Communication/Cardo-Systems-Scala-Rider-Q2
 
 
Scala Rider Teamset Bluetooth Helmet Headset: First generation with no FM radio
http://www.jafrum.com/Accessories/Motorcycle-Communication/Scala-TeamSet

No comments: