Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Turnpike Breakdown

Yesterday on my way home, I saw a biker broke down in the turn lane of the turnpike.  He was faded jeans, tshirt and no helmet, grizzled appearance with a U.S. flag bandana on his head kneeling beside what looked like his big old well used Harley.  I zipped up beside him on the Majesty with almost no sound and he looked up only when he saw the shadow.  Cars were on both sides of us and it was not really an ideal place to be.  I flipped up the front half of my Multitec and asked him if he needed any help. 

He said "No...  This is the first time I've had my bike out in over a year and the shifter came loose.  Its an easy fix."

"Alright, man." I said.  "Have a good one!"  he nodded his head and I hit the tarmac.

He certaintly didn't look like one of the H-D chrome posers.  He looked road worn like the guy on the Harley who stopped along I-65 near Alabama to check on me when I did the Saddle Sore 1000.  I  thought maybe they're just getting better on dressing up...but then I also thought maybe he had been down or had some illness and just recently recovered.  Well, whatever street, highway, turnpike or interstate that dude is on, I wish him and his shifter well...

No comments: