Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Busted my Helmet

Somehow I've busted my KBC Modular helmet! I put the seat down (as I
have many times) and heard "crack". So I got back under the seat and
found the visor was detached. No biggie, I just put it back on. This
happened like three times, the last time being this morning. Well, I
kept trying to put the visor back on, and it kept popping off.
Finally, I see that the base plate that holds the visor on is broken!
How the heck did that happen?!?!? To be honest, I was a little
irritated at Cycle Gear last year when I got the helmet. I went way
over my budget, mainly because they talked me into the modular
KBC...the said it would fit me better. Now, after months of riding
with it, I'm not sure. It seems loose to me, but that's ok in winter
when I have the knit face mask on. Part of me thinks "if it fit more
snug, I'd not need the face mask!" I did my IBA Saddle Sore 1000 in
this helmet--I'm obviously used to it, but it does wiggle around a
little. I might switch to my cheaper "red dragon" helmet I got off
Ebay. My original AFX helmet (size L that I got at CC Rider and which
I've got 7000 miles on) is tight and almost painful after a couple
hours. I took a little of the foam padding out of the removeable pads
to give me a little room, but it doesn't help much. The KBC modular
is XL and a little too loose. The dragon helmet is XL and fits about
like the large AFX. So far I have not owned a helmet I'm completely
satisfied with. I have an extra base plate set and two extra visors
for the dragon helmet. Since it has virtually no wear, I guess I'll
wear it for a while...

3 comments:

682202 said...

I have found it to be a never ending search to find a helmet that fits perfectly. Apparently my better half was correct when she said I'm a fathead. I prefer the modular helmet, but they are mostly made for round head and I have a pointy head. Your best bet is try a lot of them on. The price of a Shoei or an Arai helmet can give you sticker shock, but try them on also. The best fitting helmet i have ever had was an Arai. Good luck. GAW

Unknown said...

My problem is that I loved every helmet I tried on. It's only after riding around a while that I know for certain that I had issues with it...

682202 said...

Yes that can be a problem. Wear it as long as you can before you pay for it...

GAW