Friday, May 22, 2009

Realization

I have come to the realization that I don't know if I will be able to
find anyone as dedicated to riding distance on a scooter as I am.
Most recently it was put to me that the larger displacement scooters
(commonly referred to as maxi-scooters*) are the "red headed step
children" of the 2-wheel world. We're not really a part of the
motorcycle world--that is certain. With their larger engines, more
horsepower and considerably larger price tag, the whole world of
motorcycles is different than that of the more modest mode of
transport that is the maxi-scooter. On the other hand, the vast
majority of scooter riders fall into either classic scooters (which
generally have smaller displacement engines) or modern (in which
smaller displacement engines are much more common that the 250cc and
up class). Maxi-scooters are, so far, not a significant portion of
the U.S. demographic.

And I'm cool with that. I don't mind being oddball. But this puts a
bit of a damper on who you have available to hang with--and who will
find you acceptable to hang with. I started the Louisville Scooter
Group on the main theme that all riders are welcome, regardless of the
machine they choose to ride upon. I have kept this also as my
personal credo. I give respect to all riders, regardless of what they
roll up on. I'm too new to all this to have formed any useful
opinions about Harley riders, BMW riders, Sportbikers, etc. and it's
not really like me to do that anyway. I generally will have a lot
more respect for someone who can ride in about any conditions and any
road surface, and do it mostly non-stop for the significant portion of
a 24 hour day. I don't just take my scooter out when it sunny and
warm. It's not for everybody to ride all the time, but I identify
more with those who do. I aspire to master my own personal
adversities until a point where I feel that I am truly a rider. Right
now, in many situations, I am much more comfortable on 4 wheels. I
aspire to eventually tip the scale in the other direction.

In the mean time, I have respect for all folks who ride, whether it's
around the neighborhood, or across the nation. Well, unless you're
one of the folks who like to appear as being in the 2nd group and
really belong to the first group. ;o) I also have respect for those
folks who realize their own mortality, and signify this by wearing
proper gear. I do not always go ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time),
but (barring unusual circumstances) always wear a full-face helmet.
Skin and bones heal much much better than gray matter. 90% of the
time I also wear jacket and gloves. Another 50% of the time I wear
protective pants or leg coverings. 100% of the time (again barring
unusual circumstances) I wear stiff leather shoes or boots. The more
miles I know I'm going to be putting on, the more gear.

I guess the bottom line is no matter what wheels you're using, or what
road you choose, be safe and confidant in your abilities. Oh, and
look me up if you're near Kentuckiana. I'd be happy to ride with
you!!

3 comments:

James said...

I been reading your chronicles for sametime now.. by the way.. way to go on your IBA rided a 1000 miles in 24hrs (not readly for that)the most I have done for distance is to Indy about a 2.5 hrs ride one way for me (Vincennes Ind.)it can be hard to find sameone to ride with.. I ride with my brother-in-law from time to time but do most of my riding alone he has a "real bike" haha I have a Burgman 650.. anyway just thought it was time to say hi.. by the way the name is James

682202 said...

You bring up several interesting topics. First one that has had my head spinning many times it the past when I tried to put my thoughts into words, the tribalism of motorcycles/two wheelers (or any thing for that mater from computers to cars). How we stand together yet divided. It's to bad that the Maxi hasn't taken off in the U.S. as I believe it is much better suited to most of America with all of our highways, but for the most part we are a people of the SUV/MINIvan... It can take some time to find riding partners especially for longer rides, don't give up. Keep promoting your scooter club and as you get new members you will find some interested in the longer rides. ATGATT is a good code, but of course it is a personal choice. Finding gear that is comfortable makes it easier. The 4 season make finding the right gear tougher and more expensive. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the interesting post. GAW

Unknown said...

Well, just to put it out there, if you want to ride sometime, contact me. I'd be happy to haul around with another rider. For the record, my official stance is that I don't care if your bike is $400 or $40,000. If it runs and can keep up, I'd ride with ya!