Thursday, May 28, 2009

Decision on LD riding

After this weekend, I have come to the decision that I need to work on
my setup a lot before I do too much more long distance riding. The
stock seat on the Majesty is painful after 4 hours or so. In order to
keep going and going, I need a solution to that, as well as some way
to stretch out my legs more. Next year I will consider an Airhawk seat
cushion. I know a lot of scooter riders who use them, but no
motorcycle riders. I'm going to research more, but the other other
option is to have a custom seat put on, which is like $600 - $1000,
plus you have to ship your seat pan off to a company who does this. As
far as stretching out my legs, I have only seen one option so far. A
guy I rode with this past weekend had made his own highway pegs to put
on his Burgman. I am going to think about doing something similar to
my Majesty.

Next, I have to get a solution to only being able to travel 120 or so
miles per tank. On the highway at 70-80mph and pushing wind and my
weight--this puts the Majesty at the top end of her power. Not a big
deal because you can go on like this for as long as you want, but gas
mileage does suffer by about 10mpg. If I could get a 5 gallon
auxillary tank, I could go almost 325 miles on one fill. With the seat
set up right and being comfortable, this puts me 325 miles and about 5
hours between stops. That makes travel a lot quicker with fewer stops.
Being more comfortable, I would not require as many stops. My mpg,
even on the interstate seems to be picking up a bit. I actually got
over 50mpg this weekend--most all of it was interstate.

I am starting work on what I call a "farkle bar" that can hold drink,
mp3 player, camera, gps, etc. comfortably and ready to use. The last
step is some carrying capacity. I may try to do this with a
traditional trunk and saddle bags, but I might choose to give up my
passenger seat (to some degree) in order to use a tail bag. I will
have to see how that works out...

1 comment:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Kelly, I have friends that have been very happy with service from Spencer's. Might be worth a look for your seat comfort.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php