Sunday, March 29, 2009

Brazil and Back: Lots of Wind, 75mph, Bad Handling, Bad MPG

I have a friend who lives in Brazil, Indiana. Several weeks ago he had surgery and I have been wanting to check up on him and also do a true ride test on the Majesty. I rode up to see him, and it poured rain the whole way there. It was mostly dry on the way home but I got some thunderstorms when I got in toward Seymour on interstate 65.


View Larger Map

I have determined with over 360 miles of rain and lots of wind at highway speeds (the speed limit was 70mph on I-65 and I-70) that the mpg on the Majesty is not going to be what I had hoped for. I got an average of just over 40mpg pushing a LOT of wind (the handling was crap at 75+mph)

The test on the raingear was also somewhat disappointing. Did I stay dry-as-a-bone? No. Was I completely comfortable? No. My legs got a little wet. My torso was completely dry. The gloves I had got soaked. They were leather gauntlet type gloves, but had a protective rain mitten that was very troublesome to use. When I got to Brazil and took them off, they were so completely soaked that I figured the rain mittens had done nothing. Despite this, I used the rain mittens over my Olympia Gel gloves and got better protection from rain, wind and cold. The gloves just seem to provide mostly warmth, which goes completely out the window when you add any amount of moisture. I'll be looking for better winter gloves (with better rain protection) for next year.

Also, the boots I used, though they protected me completely from the rain, were of no use for warmth. I will find another solution there also. The only thing that performed up to it's sales pitch was the SPUD-6 dry box.

In summary, it was not a good ride. I don't want to be the type of rider who only rides in good weather and pleasant conditions, but I was pretty miserable for 10 of 12 hours yesterday. I think that I need to make some changes, most of which might be my gear, and my comfort level (both of which might be symbiotic) There were points that I was struggling with the Majesty. On that short bit of SR-59 after I got off SR-46, the wind was white-knuckle hard-lean going straight on. There is nothing on either sides but open fields, and the full force of wind hits you like a wall. It was the worst solid non-gust wind I have ever had to deal with. I spent 90% of my riding time yesterday leaning into the wind, and that is no exaggeration. I don't know if the Majesty is suited for interstate travel at 70-80mph. That is disappointing in the extreme, because that was the reason I bought it. I understand part of it is my comfort level. I had thought zipping around the interstates in Louisville at 55 and 60+mph would be enough to make me at home on the interstates, but when you get out and the speed limit is 70, you know people drive 80 comfortably in their cages. I had thought I would easily be able to do the same. It is not easy, and I get 40mpg. In that case, might I be just as easily driving a car with the comfort of an enclosed space, radio, coffee, cell phone??? Gaah! It makes me sick.

No comments: