Friday, March 20, 2009

The SPUD-6

I'm getting a black Sportsmen's Plus Utility Dry Box (aka SPUD-6 made by MTM) for my cargo needs until I make a more permanent decision. It's got a water resistant O-ring seal, top access lid compartment bungee hook receivers, comfortable handle, heavy-duty snapping latches and double padlock tabs. Not a topbox at all, but I have not found anything yet that is exactly what I want. I might spring for a Pelican 1445 or 1500 box and mount that at a later time, if I don't end up loving this thing. It's 18.5” x 13” x 10” which translates to close to 39 1/2 liters. The JC Whitney choices are 47-66 liter.





The Givis are impressive, and I particular like the B36N Business Case, but I'm sure it's costly, as are all Givi's. I can't find a price anywhere on it. Givi cases can give me anywhere from 35-55l extra storage space.





The other choice I was looking at was either the Emgo Travel Trunk at New Enough,
...or the genuine Yamaha accessory. The thing is...I no longer need something tall enough to house a full face helmet. I just need more room for general crap.


So I'm going to use the SPUD-6 for a while, but it's looking like I might just have to save up and get either the Givi Business Case or a Pelican 1400 for a permanently mounted solution.

1 comment:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

These all look like good choices. I wanted something basic and relatively cheap, in keeping with the general theme of my Helix.

After seeing many stellar reviews of the JC Whitney box, I ordered the large one and couldn't be happier. I think I got a lot for my dollar and would buy another one.