Monday, March 9, 2009

Wiring up the 12 volt outlet for GPS

Battery access on the Majesty is a lot more difficult than my old
Chinese scooter. It's not in a difficult location, but the access
panel is made in such a way that you think you are going to break it
getting it off. The little plastic pins that hold it in (partly)
don't want to go back in right after removal. I've read where some
people lost that body panel because they trusted the plastic pins. I
finally got to the battery and I rounded out the phillips head
positive battery terminal bolt trying to get it out. That thing was
in there tight! In the end, I had to whittle out a small peice of
plastic on the battery so that I could get a socket in there to break
it loose. I replaced it with one from the MC-54B which has a much
easier access and also plenty of room to work at the battery. I put
in the ring terminal leads and drilled a small hole from the battery
compartment to the trunk (which is just the other side) to run the
wires into the trunk area. I also want to put in a toggle switch so I
can turn it off. On the other end, I'm looking for the perfect
solution. It will probably be a powerlet socket eventually. I'm
still a little concerned about that body panel. I read on
majestyusa.com what I believe might be a good solution. It's to use
those plastic drywall anchors (that expand when you insert a screw
into them). I might try that for a little extra peice of mind. I put
the original plastic pins in there (the kind where you have to push
the button in the middle) but the little button did not pop back out
when they were inserted. After that I pulled them back out (easily)
and put in large screws. The final fubar was when I removed the
passenger seat, I dropped the bolt down into the bike somewhere. It
will likely rattle out (or already has). I have a screw holding that
in, but need to replace it with the allen-head bolt asap. Now if I
can just figure out what SIZE.

No comments: