Wednesday, March 25, 2009

SPUD-6 is here

My SPUD-6 box came today. It looks like it will work perfectly! Here are some pictures, with my copy of Blue Highways (a standard sized paperback) for scale reference. As you can see, it's plenty big.

SPUD-6

=========================================
The top has a 'hidden compartment' which opens up. Since I don't plan on using this to carry a helmet (though it looks like it might hold a 3/4, and would hold a half helmet easily) the 'wasted space' of the top compartment seems like it will be very useful. I could put bunjies, etc in there, but the sticker warns that this section is not weatherproof.

INSIDE THE 'SECRET COMPARTMENT'

=========================================
There is a sliding tray in the top. First I thought I would immediately throw this out, but then it got me thinking--I need more places to store smaller things rather that one huge compartment, so I don't know what I'll put there, but it's bound to be useful.

INTERNAL SLIDING TRAY

=========================================
As you can see, the SPUD-6 is big enough to fit the paperback standing up or lying down--with extra room. It also has a lid which allows a little more height. I am very pleased with this. If the carrying capacity is everything that I need, I may end up building a bracket and not even worrying about an actual top box. I still like the looks of those saddle bags at Derby Cycle though.

PLENTY TALL ON THE INSIDE


SPACIOUS LENGTH AND WIDTH


=========================================
The tough handle feels very rugged and strong. No give or flex at all. Same goes for the latches which seal the box tight from water using the internal o-ring seal.
STURDY HANDLES

STURDY LOCKING CLIPS ALSO

=========================================
There is a place for padlocks--two of them--on each side next to the latch. To me this is no different than the locks on our top boxes. They can be broken into if somebody really wants to, but it's more of a deterrent than anything else I think.

WHERE THE LOCK GOES

All in all, for a price of $29 plus shipping (UPS Ground which took only one day to get here) I am pleased with my temporary cargo solution. I will have to see how it looks on the Majesty, then see how it does with organizing and holding what I need it to. I suspect it may work better than I first thought... If I am pleased, it may end up being a permanent solution!

No comments: